Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Apple Crumble with Cinnamon Whipped Cream


 I've been obsessively watching Junior Masterchef lately and I am truly in awe at the skills these kids have. Their skills is way beyond their years and it is so refreshing to see such passion from a kids. I don't know what goes on inside my head when I see little happy faces cooking; I burst to tears, I literally can't help tears rolling down my cheeks. Mind you, I do not cry when somebody gets evicted, I cry when they get high praises from the judges. I think it's that proud parent in waiting to happen. I have a soft spot for kids persevering whether this be in academics, sports, arts or culinary. Enough about that! Now that you know my secret, let's get on with business. 
Recipe Below ;-) 




This dish was inspired by one of the junior chefs ZAC, 12 years old. This was from Season 2 Episode 8 of Junior Masterchef Australia. They were featuring different versions of Nana's Apple Pie. His interpretation of apple pie was very unique, creative and simple. 





Ingredients: 
Filling
6 large granny smith apples, peeled cored and chopped 
3 cloves  (omitted)
½ cup water
2-3 tablespoons caster sugar
Crumble
90g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
150g plain flour
100g brown sugar
Cinnamon cream
1 cup thickened cream
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons icing sugar
Cinnamon quills, to decorate   (omitted)
Method 
Preparation: 30 minutes Cooking: 35 minutes  Serves: 4
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease oven-proof ramekins.
2. For filling, place apples, cloves, water and sugar in a large saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer, covered for 10 minutes or until apples are tender. Drain, remove cloves and set aside.
3. For crumble, rub butter into flour in a small bowl until butter is in pea sized pieces. Lightly mix in sugar.
4. Spread apple filling over base of ramekins. Sprinkle crumble mixture over the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the crumble is crispy and golden.
5. Whip cream, cinnamon and sugar until soft peaks form.
6. Serve crumble warm with cinnamon cream on the side.




Enjoy this recipe, we sure did!




No comments:

Post a Comment